Questions about Online Counseling (Teletherapy)
Online Counseling is the newest, smartest way to access help when you are in need of a professional mental health clinician. You may also see online counseling referred to as telehealth or telemedicine. These terms simply refer to the broader scope of healthcare administered from a distance.
What is the cost of online counseling?
The cost of the standard 50 minute session is $75.
The cost of the standard 50 minute session with an intern is $40. (Self Pay Only)
Will my insurance cover this?
Maybe. I would love to give you a definitive answer, but to be honest, online counseling or teletherapy is so new that not all insurance companies are currently on board (or paying for the service). Texas is one of the states that does require most health care plans to pay for online counseling or teletherapy, but unfortunately, many customer advocates at insurance companies are not really familiar with online counseling or teletherapy so we received mixed answers when inquiring about compensation. You actually have a better chance of receiving compensation from commercial plans when you submit the claim yourself or when you use your Flexible Spending Card.
Will medicaid plans pay for online counseling (teletherapy)?
Yes, most will. Some have restrictions based on locality. Some tend to want clients to seek face to face counseling in the office when there is a provider who is relatively close to you.
If you are interested in online counseling or teletherapy, my suggestion would be to contact me so that I can verify and then, you contact your insurance company so that you can hear what their customer advocates have to say. I can tell you specific questions to ask to make the process easier.
Is there an advantage to not using your insurance?
That answer is a resounding YES for some people. Some people do not want to be labeled with a mental health diagnosis that their insurance companies or employers with which their insurance companies and even employers can have access. It really comes down to a matter of personal privacy.
Are you there any benefits to accessing online counseling or teletherapy?
- Have counseling aka therapy via a secure teletherapy platform at a time that works for you.
- Use your phone, tablet or computer to meet with me.
- You can have “therapy for lunch” during your lunch time.
- When bad weather strikes or your babysitter is on strike, your therapy time can still occur.
- You don’t have to dress up, but you do have to dress!
- Online counseling or teletherapy is affordable.
- Online counseling or teletherapy may be paid or reimbursed by your insurance,
- You will never run into “the next client” because your session and participation is completely private because it occurs online between me and you.
Are there any down sides to online counseling or teletherapy?
- You don’t get to sit on the “therapy couch”.
- You may miss the face to face in person interaction.
- Is there anyone who should not seek online counseling or teletherapy?
- Young children who are incapable of interacting via video are not good candidates.
- Those who are suicidal or homicidal are not candidates for online counseling.
Are same day online appointments available?
Can I request a time that is not listed as your regular hours?
Yes, you can. That is the wonderful thing about online counseling. We get to break the “9-5 office hours” rules. If you would like to schedule an evening or night appointment and it is not listed, send us an email.