Online Counseling, also known as teletherapy, is the newest, smartest way to access help when you are in need of a professional mental health clinician. You may also see online counseling referred to as telehealth or telemedicine. These terms simply refer to the broader scope of healthcare administered from a distance.
Will my insurance cover this?
Yes! Texas and Louisiana are two states that do require insurance companies to pay for online counseling or teletherapy.
Are you there any benefits to accessing online counseling or teletherapy?
- Have therapy via a secure teletherapy platform at a time that works for you.
- Use your phone, tablet or computer to meet with me.
- You can have “therapy for lunch” during your lunch time.
- When bad weather strikes or your babysitter is on strike, your therapy time can still occur.
- You don’t have to dress up, but you do have to dress!
- Online counseling or teletherapy is affordable.
- Online counseling or teletherapy may be paid or reimbursed by your insurance,
- You will never run into “the next client” because your session and participation is completely private because it occurs online between me and you.
- If you move to a different city (within Texas) you can still keep me as your therapist.
Are there any down sides to online counseling or teletherapy?
- You don’t get to sit on the “therapy couch”.
- You may miss the face to face in person interaction.
- Even though I use VSee, a secure, HIPPA compliant platform that provides end to end encryption without the middleman listeners, you still need to make sure that you secure things on your end by making sure you are in a private environment in which no one can hear our session. Using earbuds also helps because if someone in your environment does walk in on our session, they will not hear me. (Learn more about the security VSee uses.)
- We could have problems with our connection or get disconnected. I advise all clients to please check their connection on VSee so they can insure things are clear on their end. If we get disconnected, I will call you back. If we can not re-connect, we will re-schedule.
- There is a chance that your insurance company will not pay for the session :-(. If this happens, you will be responsible for the contracted rate.